We are very excited to have you in our class. Kindergarten is an amazing year of social and academic growth. Here are some things you need to know to get the school year off to a great start.
Some social skills and behaviors expected of children entering kindergarten:
- To listen attentively, remembering that one person speaks at a time.
- To concentrate on and finish a task.
- To show self control in words and actions.
- To take care of personal belongings, going to the bathroom, washing hands, and cleaning up after themselves in the classroom and at lunch.
- To follow directions.
- To use inside voices in the classroom.
- To remain seated during lessons and at lunch time.
Some academic skills and knowledge expected of beginning kindergarten children:
- recognize and name most uppercase and lowercase letters
- write their own name and other letters they are familiar with
- recognize numbers 1-10
- count up to 10 objects using one-to-one correspondence (e.g. count one object per number)
- recognize, name, and draw basic shapes
- recognize and name colors
- use pencils, crayons, and scissors appropriately
- use complete sentences to express their thoughts and ideas
Smile for the camera! As your child enjoys a book over the summer, please take a photograph of him/her so we may post it on the lower wing bulletin board in September! Be creative! Take a photo with your pets, while on vacation, or any other way you can think of! Happy reading!
Kindergarten Supply List
- 2 plastic 8 ½ X 11 folders with bottom pockets (please no prongs)
- 8 glue sticks (preferably Elmer’s)
- 12 Standard size # 2 yellow pencils
- 24 ct. crayons – (preferably Crayola)
- A plastic pencil box with an attached lid (approx. 8x5x2)
- 1 pair of children’s metal blunt tipped scissors
- 1 BOUND thick marble primary lined journal book (NOT SPIRAL) – can usually be found in the stationary department of Walmart, Target, CVS, etc.
- 1 black low odor Expo dry erase fine tip marker
- 1 package 80 ct. baby wipes
- 1 box of tissues
- Headphones (no earbuds) – please put in labeled zip-top bag
- 1 ream of copy paper
- 1 washable watercolor paint set – 8 colors (preferably Crayola)
Have a happy, healthy, and safe summer! I can’t wait to see you all in August!