Mrs. Geoffrey’s First Grade
I am so excited for a new school year. It feels as though each year the summer just gets shorter and shorter! Thank you to all who came in during Open House and for those of you who signed up for Room Parents. You are what make this school so special!. Enjoy the school year and treasure how much your child grows!
- September 1st No School
- September 4th No School
- September 5th PreK 3 and PreK 4 begin school; Chorus begins
- September 6th Parents’ Band Meeting at 6:00; Virtus Training at 6:30; Choir begins
- September 7th Dress Down Day for $1/$2 with a hat for Texas Relief
- September 8th School Mass at 9:00 and Adoration from 1:00 – 4:00
- Sept 11th Homework Club begins
- September 12th Open House for PreK 3 – 5th Grade at 6:00
- September 13th Individual and Class Photos for PreK 3 – 5th Grade
- September 14th Individual and Class Photos for 6th – 8th Grade
- September 15th School Mass at 9:00 and Adoration from 1:00 – 4:00
- September 16th Fall Festival at Bartlem Park from 9:00 – 2:00
- September 17th Outdoor Mass at 11:00 followed by the Parish Picnic
- September 19th Open House for Middle School
- September 22nd School Mass at 9:00 and Adoration from 1:00 – 4:00
- September 23rd Blood Drive in Memory of Nicholas LaTorraca from 8:00 – 1:00
- September 24th New Family Reception following the 11:00 Mass
- September 25th No School for Teacher’s Professional Day and the Golf Tournament
- September 26th Grade 8 Prayer Service at 9:00
- September 29th School Mass at 9:00; Adoration from 1:00 – 4:00; Stuff-A-Bus from 10:00 – 12:00
Our reading series is called Reading Street. Last year we began using this and I love it! I find it much more challenging than our previous reading series and I look forward to see how much the students grow because of it! It starts off with a collection of short stories that are all about friendship and working together. We will read The Big Top, School Day, and Farmer’s Market. Our phonics work goes hand in hand with the stories. The students will be reviewing their short vowels. Please go onto www.readingstreet.com for additional reading and phonics work. Also, look on my website for the spelling words for the month.
Math is brand new this year and we are so very excited! It will be very different and it will get challenging for the students. Our goal is that they master everything that is taught. The chapters will be longer, there will be more hands-on experiences including work on the computers and games with partners and the tests will be harder as well. Please do not get discouraged if it looks different than how you were taught. We will all work together to make this a very successful new math program.
Open House is a great time to hear about the entire first grade year. We will go over the curriculum for the year, special monthly projects, and of course the first grade report card. Please come with as many questions and/or concerns you may have and I will try to cover everything. I hope to see everyone on September 12th at 6:00! There will be an informative meeting in the gym. Afterwards, parents are invited down to the classrooms to meet with teachers. I will go over special projects, our first grade curriculum, and grading system. You will be able to go to all of your children’s classes due to the fact that there will be two or three different time slots.
Please feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I will be happy to answer any questions.