Mrs. Galipault’s Third Grade
We have had a great first few days in 3rd Grade! The students are working hard learning and practicing our classroom routines. We are getting to know each other and creating a wonderful classroom environment for the new school year!
This month we will be getting right into our academics.
In Faith, we will begin working in the We Believe religion book. The first unit, “Jesus Gives Us the Church,” introduces the life of Jesus and the beginning of our Church. We will also learn how to be disciples of Jesus in our everyday lives.
In Reading, we will begin working on the first unit in the Reading Street series. This unit contains stories that focus on “Living and Learning”. Each story will help students to understand different skills that are needed to successfully make our own way in the world. We will practice using our background knowledge, sequencing, summarizing, visualizing, comparing and contrasting and identifying important literary elements in each of the stories that we read. Each week our spelling and phonics patterns will reflect the focus of our stories.
In Math, we will begin our first chapter in our Math in Focus series: place value. Once we complete our lessons on place value, the students will use those skills to move into our second chapter on mental math and estimation. We will also start doing weekly Mad Minutes to improve our fact fluency.
In Social Studies, we are beginning by practicing our map skills. Students will learn how to read and interpret maps.
In Writing, we started by identifying complete sentences. We will continue practicing this throughout the year. We will also work on correct punctuation and capitalization. The students will begin writing their own pieces this month. We will brainstorm ideas, create rough drafts and edit our work before publishing final pieces.
Please look below for a list of important dates in September.
Please check here for our daily homework:
- September 1st No School
- September 4th No School
- September 5th PreK 3 and PreK 4 begin school; Chorus begins
- September 6th Parents’ Band Meeting at 6:00; Virtus Training at 6:30; Choir begins
- September 7th Dress Down Day for $1/$2 with a hat for Texas Relief
- September 8th School Mass at 9:00 and Adoration from 1:00 – 4:00
- September 11th Homework Club begins
- September 12th Open House for PreK 3 – 5th Grade at 6:00
- September 13th Individual and Class Photos for PreK 3 – 5th Grade
- September 14th Individual and Class Photos for 6th – 8th Grade
- September 15th School Mass at 9:00 and Adoration from 1:00 – 4:00
- September 16th Fall Festival at Bartlem Park from 9:00 – 2:00
- September 17th Outdoor Mass at 11:00 followed by the Parish Picnic
- September 19th Open House for Middle School
- September 22nd School Mass at 9:00 and Adoration from 1:00 – 4:00
- September 23rd Blood Drive in Memory of Nicholas LaTorraca from 8:00 – 1:00
- September 24th New Family Reception following the 11:00 Mass
- September 25th No School for Teacher’s Professional Day and the Golf Tournament
- September 26th Grade 8 Prayer Service at 9:00
- September 29th School Mass at 9:00; Adoration from 1:00 – 4:00; Stuff-A-Bus from 10:00 – 12:00
My name is Kristen Galipault. I have a B.A. in History and Elementary Education from Anna Maria College and an M.A. in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Saint Joseph. This is my 4th year at SBS, but my 9thyear teaching. Some of my favorite things include reading, drawing, going on trips with my husband to explore new places and spending time with my dogs Dexter and Gracie. I also love watching baseball (Go Red Sox!) and going to the movies.